18 July 2014
Twelve new codes of practice to improve safety in NSW workplaces come into force today.
The codes are part of the national harmonised work health and safety laws that were adopted by NSW in 2012. The new codes replace a number of existing codes that were in place under previous occupational health and safety laws.
Acting General Manager of WorkCover’s Work Health and Safety Division, Peter Dunphy said the codes are about making NSW workplaces safer.
“The NSW Government is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for every NSW worker,” Mr Dunphy said.
“The new codes make it easier for everyone to know and understand their responsibilities.
“While what was safe previously will continue to be safe under the new codes, it is important that businesses, industry and workers understand the key changes.”
The new codes affect all industries however those most greatly impacted include the construction, electrical and manufacturing industries.
Mr Dunphy said WorkCover would support employers and workers to implement the new codes.
“The new codes relate to first aid, construction work, electrical, chemical and plant risks as well as welding and spray painting,” he said.
“WorkCover is committed to supporting business and industry to adjust to the new arrangements.”
The 12 new Codes of Practice are:
- First aid in the workplace
- Construction work
- Preventing falls in housing construction
- Managing electrical risks in the workplace
- Managing risks of hazardous chemicals in the workplace
- Managing the risks of plant in the workplace
- Safe design of structures
- Excavation work
- Demolition work
- Welding processes
- Spray painting and powder coating
- Abrasive blasting
The five Codes of Practice revoked to avoid duplication or conflict are:
- Excavation work
- Safe Work on Roofs Part 2-residential buildings
- Work in Hot and Cold Environments
- Amenities for Construction Work
- Prevention of Occupational Overuse Syndrome
The Codes commence on Friday, 18 July 2014 and are available on the WorkCover website. For further information on the new Codes of Practice visit www.workcover.nsw.gov.au or call 13 10 50.